Each year, Willow Center provides a comprehensive domestic violence report to the community in partnership with the Rochester/Monroe County Domestic Violence Consortium. The Community Report includes data from the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services, Monroe County dispatch, the Monroe County Family Court program, and Willow Center.
2020 Report Highlights
- The report includes the following data:
- 5,127 reports of domestic violence made last year in Monroe County – reports by law enforcement agencies in 4 categories: aggravated assault, simple assault, sex offense and order of protection violation. This is down 4% from 2019.
- 43,827 calls were made to Monroe County 9-1-1 dispatch last year that were classified as domestic disputes – up 1% from 2019.
- 5 domestic violence homicides in Monroe County last year; 3 in the City of Rochester.
- Monroe County rates of domestic violence are 1.6 times the statewide rate, excluding NYC.
- The city of Rochester rates are 3.6 times the statewide rate.
- 3,486 petitions for orders of protection were filed in Family Court, above the 10-year average of 3,300, with 4,432 temporary orders of protection granted. Note: one petition may result in multiple temporary orders.
- Willow Center’s 24/7 Hotline had 7,880 calls – this is a nearly 18% increase from 2019.