Thank you for your interest in internships at Willow Center! Interns are essential to our daily operations and help to give future advocates professional experience with a domestic violence agency.
All interns must be 18 or older and sign a statement of confidentiality at the beginning of service. Due to the nature of our work, it is important to ensure that our interns are well trained, reliable, and sensitive to domestic violence issues. All positions require an orientation to Willow Center and training on domestic violence advocacy. Ongoing support and training also helps ensure a rewarding experience for our interns.
If you are seeking an internship opportunity, we request that you contact us at least one semester in advance in order to allow time for the interview & placement process to be completed.
To become an intern:
- Review available internship opportunities below.
- Fill out an Internship Application and submit it to Volunteer@WillowCenterNY.org, along with a resume and cover letter.
- If your experience matches available opportunities, Willow Center will contact you to begin the interview process.
- At your interview, each intern must provide Willow Center with all internship requirements or expectations as set forth by your school or institution. Willow Center staff may be in contact with your advisor/supervisor to clarify all expectations to ensure your success.
- If you are offered a position, the following is required of each intern:
A. You and Willow Center staff will determine your start/end date and your schedule.
B. Willow Center staff will schedule you for an all-day domestic violence advocacy training.
- Willow Center will complete a background check to ensure the safety of our shelter residents, clients, and staff.
- Complete Willow Center general training and program-specific training at our center, according to your position.